EONS16 – 21-23 October 2023 in Madrid, Spain
Cancer nursing: Building on innovation and building back better in healthcare
What a fantastic conference! Thank you to all the wonderful speakers who shared their knowledge with us and to all of you dedicated cancer nurses who attended EONS16 and made these three days such a huge success!
Next year, we have EONS17 in Barcelona, 14-16 September, but first it’s our ECND24 and 40th anniversary celebration in Turku, Finland, on 15 May! See you there!
It’s been a fantastic day at EONS16, Day 3, exciting insights, new connections and so many enlightening sessions…
Our session ‘Survivorship through the eyes of a cancer nurse’, with EONS Past-President Johan de Munter and EONS President Virpi Sulosaari this morning presented a personal perspective as Johan interviewed Virpi about her own cancer journey.
Congratulations to our poster winners! Announced on Day 3
1. Survivorship Care in Melanoma Cancer Survivors
Mrs. Riley Fadden, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Ambulatory Oncology Dept., 55 Fruit Street, 02114, Boston, US
2. Understand the patients’ perspectives based on their profile to improve health-related quality of life assessment in breast cancer
Mrs. Cynthia Lesbros, Carenity, Data Science, 1 rue de Stockholm, 75008 Paris, Paris, FR
3. Experiences of patients after cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy: a qualitative study
Ms. Jill Dobbelaer, UZ Gent – University Hospital Ghent, Digestive Oncology, De Pintelaan 185, 9000, Gent, BE
1. Ms. Ariadna Garcia Rodriguez, VHIO Valle de Hebrón Instituto de Oncología, Oncology Nurse, Centro Cellex, Carrer de Natzaret, 115-117, 08035, Barcelona, ES
2. Ms. Cristina Tebar, INCLIVA Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria, ONCOLOGY, Avenida de Menéndez y Pelayo, 4, 46010, Valencia, ES
3. Ms. coralie BOITEAU, Université Paris Est Créteil, Assistance Publique – Hôpitaux de Paris, Department of medical oncology, Henri Mondor and Albert Chenevier Teaching Hospital, 51 Avenue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010, Creteil, FR
And well done to the Rapid Fire winners too!
Best Rapid Fire
1.Mrs. Ine Decadt, AZ Groeninge – Campus Kennedylaan, Kortrijk Cancer Centre, President Kennedylaan 4, 8500 Kortrijk, President Kennedylaan 4, 8500, Kortrijk, BE
Implementation of a nurse led clinic (NLC) in outpatient cancer care: a growing opportunity for Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS) in Belgium
2.Mrs. Jannicke Rabben, University of Agder, Faculty of Health and Sport Sciences, Department of Health and Nursing Science, Jon Lilletuns vei 9, 4879, Grimstad, NO
Patients’, relatives’, and healthcare professionals’ experiences and perspectives of shared decision-making in palliative cancer care: A systematic review and meta-synthesis.
3. Vanessa Boland. Ireland.
Uncovering the needs of lymphoma survivors: A cross-sectional study
Top: Congratulations go to MIRIAM HERNANDEZ BAILON and team at The Supportive Care Department at Clinique de Genolier, Switzerland for their video on their innovative workshops.
Beneath: Congratulations to ESRA IBEK from Bursa Uludağ University Medical Faculty Hospital Health Application and Research Center, Bursa, Turkey, and Derya Cinar from İzmir Bakırçay University for the video Distraction-Based Interventions During İmplanted Venous Port Catheter Needle Insertion: A Virtual Reality Application.
All the action – in the EONS Lounge, around the conference centre and in our cancer nursing speaker sessions:
Sharing knowledge and adding to our cancer nursing skills. We are meeting old friends and making new ones too.
Follow the conference on Facebook and X (Twitter) @cancernurseEU #EONS16
EONS conference – EONS16 – from 21-23 October 2023 is at the IFEMA (pictured below), in Madrid, Spain. Our theme is: Cancer nursing: Building on innovation and building back better in healthcare.
Final Schedule of Symposiums, Sessions, and Workshops
This high-level cancer nursing conference is amazing value. Find out about all the fantastic opportunities for learning and professional development offered by our packed programme of top speakers from the world of cancer nursing – download it here or from the Further Information section of this page.
There are a wide range of sessions covering: health promotion, prevention and screening; supportive and person-centred care; symptom management; palliative and end-of-life care; professional and educational issues in cancer nursing and a special collaborative session for young cancer nurses. Plus, a variety of special symposia, details of which can be found further down this page.
*You can attend EONS16 in person or virtually. The conference is held in association with ESMO Congress 2023
Congratulations to Professor Daniel Kelly, OBE, who has today received the EONS Lifetime Achievement Award at EONS16 in Madrid!
Professor Kelly was presented with his award by EONS President Virpi Sulosaari (left) and President-Elect Helena Ullgren
Daniel Kelly was EONS President from 2015-2017 and is currently co-chair of ECO HPV Action Network. He joined Cardiff University in 2011 as the Royal College of Nursing Chair of Nursing Research.
EONS President Virpi Sulosaari thanked Danny for all his fantastic work to develop and promote the cancer nursing profession.
Here are some more pictures from Day 1 of the EONS16 Conference
EONS Lounge, where EONS members met and mingled.
EONS presidents welcome you to EONS16 – be part of the European cancer nursing community!
Virpi Sulosaari, EONS President
EONS16 will focus on the need to develop sustainable, person-centred cancer care and to recognise the expertise of cancer nurses. Nurses are really the building blocks of quality cancer care… Share your experience, create networks for the future and enjoy the feeling of being part of the European cancer nursing community. I hope to see you in Madrid!
View Virpi’s video message
Johan de Munter, EONS Past President:
In a world driven by innovation and compassion, where every life matters, comes an event that unites all cancer nurses and cancer care professionals… Join us at EONS16 at ESMO 2023 – an opportunity to enhance the art of cancer care, embrace innovation, and be a catalyst for innovative change in the world of cancer nursing.
Read Johan’s full message
Helena Ullgren, EONS President Elect:
I feel very enthusiastic about meeting my cancer nursing colleagues – to be inspired and learn new things. I also really look forward to the “rapid fire” sessions, with many short presentations on various topics. In addition, the MASCC joint session, the session on “professional and educational issues in cancer nursing”, as well as the writing workshop, is at the top of my list!
View Helena’s video message
Amanda Drury, Scientific Committee Co-Chair, added:
We look forward to welcoming you all to Madrid for the European Oncology Nursing Society annual conference, EONS16. This year, our theme, “Building on Innovation and Building Back Better in Healthcare,” is timely. Healthcare services and systems are continuing to return to a new normal following the COVID19 pandemic, in a time of increasing workforce challenges throughout cancer care.
Join us to explore updates on EONS flagship projects, including PrEvCan, the EONS’ Cancer Nursing Research Priorities Project, the EONS Advocacy Toolkit, ABC4Nurses, PROMS and the European College of Cancer Nursing.
We have an exciting range of presentations on topics such as health promotion, prevention, and cancer screening; supportive care in cancer; symptom management; palliative and end-of-life care; person-centred care; as well as professional and educational issues for nursing.
We have a range of sponsored educational sessions and collaborative sessions which will explore the role of cancer nurses in care of patients with emerging treatment modalities. Finally, for early career researchers, we will host an informative and practical workshop writing for publication in partnership with the European Journal of Oncology Nursing.
* If you are eligible to claim any expenses for attending EONS16 conference (speakers, invited guests, staff), the EONS policy documents and claim form can be downloaded from here
All claims must be made AFTER the event.
PrEvCan – Join the virtual challenge that will take you from Paris 2022 to Madrid 2023!
At EONS16 / ESMO 2023 conference in Madrid this October, ESMO is inviting you to participate in a challenge that will virtually guide you from Paris (the location of the 2022 Congress) to Madrid by biking or walking the kilometres between the two congress cities. The challenge is part of the PrEvCan campaign, launched at the ESMO Congress 2022 in Paris and initiated and led by EONS with ESMO as key partner, alongside more than 50 international and national organisations. The campaign is based on the European Code Against Cancer (ECAC), which sets out 12 recommendations ranging from physical activity and dietary guidelines all the way to tobacco use and second-hand smoke.
*A bike is available in the EONS Lounge for YOU to take part!*
Find out more and engage with others taking the virtual challenge at #PrEvCan; #BeAnActiveMember
Log in to share the kilometres you’ve biked/walked and collectively reach the target.
Cancer Nursing Fund offered 20 grants of up to €500 for cancer nurses to attend the EONS16 conference
Applications now closed.
The Cancer Nursing Fund offered a bursary scheme for up to 20 cancer nurses to attend EONS16, with a grant of up to 500 euros towards registration fees, travel and/or accommodation for a maximum of 2 nights.
EONS16 Scientific Committee:
- Virpi Sulosaari, Finland, Co-Chair, EONS President Elect,
- Amanda Drury, Ireland, Co-Chair, in place for EONS Past President
- Johan de Munter, Belgium, Senior advisor, EONS President
- Constantina Cloconi, Cyprus, Communication Working Group representative
- Gianluca Catania, Italy, Advocacy Working Group representative
- Eva Pape, Belgium, Research Working Group representative
- Tugba Pehlivan, Turkey, Education Working Group representative
- Bethany Maynard, UK, Young Cancer Nurses representative
- Julio César de la Torre Montero, Spain, local representative
- Jorgina Serra, Spain, local representative
- Paz Fernandez Ortega, Spain, local representative
- Richard G Kelly, Belgium, EONS COO
EONS16 industry-sponsored symposia
In addition to the EONS16 educational sessions, seven EONS16 industry-sponsored symposia took place throughout the conference. They featured top cancer nursing experts and provided excellent learning opportunities on the following themes:
- Improving health literacy across the patient pathway from screening and prevention to treatment and care – Saturday, 21 October from 12:00-13:30 CEST
- The changing landscape of metastatic breast cancer treatment and patient management with antibody-drug conjugates (workshop) – Saturday, 21 October from 14:15 – 15:45 CEST
- Wellbeing in cancer nursing workforce – Saturday, 21 October from 16:15 – 17:45 CEST
- Perspectives on adverse events and healthcare needs management in kidney cancer – Sunday, 22 October from 08:30 – 10:00 CEST
- The Role of Cancer Nurses in the Management of gBRCAm HER2- Breast Cancer – Sunday, 22 October from 12:00 -13:30 CEST
- How best to communicate about treatment side effects and adherence to therapy: Breast cancer patient and clinical nurse perspectives (workshop) – Sunday, 22 October from 15:00 – 16:30 CEST
- Treatment and management of IO +/- TKi in advanced and recurrent endometrial cancer – Monday, 23 October from 12:00 – 13:30 CEST
*Click on the titles to view the main objectives of the symposia on the digital fliers.
With thanks to all our sponsors and collaborators:
Support was given by the Cancer Nursing Fund, managed by the King Baudouin Foundation, for the participation of oncology nurses at EONS16 in Madrid.