EONS13 – The Future of Cancer Nursing
in the Year of the Nurse and Midwife
EONS13 at ESMO Virtual Congress 2020 – A groundbreaking virtual cancer nursing conference
EONS13 took place as a virtual conference
from 12.30 to 17.30 on Saturday 19, Sunday 20 and Monday 21 September
Thank you for joining us and helping make this a fantastic event for all cancer nurses!
*Registered EONS13 participants can use this link to watch all sessions of the ESMO/EONS13 Nursing Track https://www.esmo.org/meetings/past-meetings/esmo-virtual-congress-2020/meeting-resources
Please note: If you have not yet registered for the EONS13 virtual conference you can still do so and view the sessions online, and, if you join EONS as an individual member, registration is free – plus, you receive membership up to the end of December 2021 for the sum of just 35€. Here’s how to do it in three easy steps!!
- Complete our membership application form at www.cancernurse.eu/membership/individual-membership/
- Pay the membership fee of just 35€
- Once you have your membership number from EONS, you can register for EONS13.
- EONS individual members: FREE registration*
- Members of EONS National Societies/Associate members: 53.85 Euros
- Non-EONS Members: 236.94 Euros
Virtual EONS13 Nursing Track – a rich learning opportunity
The virtual EONS13 conference offered a rich context in which to develop your learning and skills in cancer nursing. In the Nursing Track, nurses had the opportunity to strengthen their knowledge of Phase 1 clinical trials and learnt how they relate to your patients, about immunotherapy, age-specific care in oncology, quality and safety in cancer nursing, evolving cancer nursing roles, supporting informal care givers like parents and significant others, the patient experience, and much more!
The EONS13 Scientific Committee Chairs, EONS President Andreas Charalambous and Board Member Wendy Oldenmenger, led a top team in putting together a first class programme. It featured expert speakers from all over Europe, and beyond. Prior to the conference they shared a flavour of what was in store:
Introducing the line-up, Wendy said: “There are a wealth of exceptional sessions on offer at our virtual conference that will help transform your practice and further your career. You will have the opportunity to strengthen your knowledge of immunotherapy and precision oncology, including learning about the use of biomarkers and genetic risk; then there’s a joint session together with ESMO on the importance of Phase 1 clinical trials. I’d like to draw your attention to the opportunity you will have to find out more about age-specific care in oncology with our colleagues at SIOG as well: we will focus on adolescents and young adults and long-term follow-up, and on care for older patients too of course. We’ll also be sharing the findings of the EONS safety survey, a really important and revealing piece of work from our Advocacy Working Group.”
Andreas added: “Don’t miss the session on supporting informal caregivers like parents and significant others – this can be an overlooked aspect of what we do as cancer nurses. There’s an opportunity to hear about the patient experience of cancer care during the Covid-19 pandemic that has transformed all our lives this year as well. You can find out about evolving cancer nursing roles and advanced practice nursing in different countries too. You’ll also hear from our EONS Young Cancer Nurse group about the important campaigns they have planned, and much more. All in all, this is going to be a unique and inspiring experience – and it’s free if you join EONS as an individual member! Register now if you haven’t already. We look forward to seeing you there.”
Download the programme from the Further Information section of this page to review full details of all sessions and symposia.
* The EONS General Meeting and Advisory Council took place on the morning of Saturday 19 September prior to the start of the conference. Find out more
EONS13 Awards 2020
The EONS Awards 2020 were presented at the EONS13 virtual conference by our President Elect Johan de Munter.
Huge CONGRATULATIONS go to former EONS President Erik van Muilekom (pictured), from the Netherlands, who has received the EONS Lifetime Achievement Award 2020!
The RECaN Award 2020 went to Michaela Popelkova from the Czech Republic and the Strengthening Equality in Healthcare Award to Bodil Westman of Sweden and Celia Diez de los Rios of Spain.
Well done to you all!! So well deserved! Thank you for your outstanding contributions to the world of cancer nursing.
The EONS13 programme included four high quality, pre-recorded satellite symposia covering educational topics of great interest to cancer nurses. The symposia topics were:
- PROs in immuno-oncology in combination with TKI
- Digital health and self-management
- Integrative medicine
- COVID-19 and cancer nursing
The pre-recorded symposia featured expert speakers from across the world and were available to view online from 9am on Tuesday 22 September to Tuesday 29 September.
Participants could later take part in live online 30-minute Q&A sessions where they could meet the speakers and ask questions.
Live Q&A sessions – dates and times
- PROs in immuno-oncology in combination with TKI – 29 September at 09.45 CET
- Digital health and self-management – 23 September at 11.30 CET
- Integrative medicine – 23 September at 09.15 CET
- COVID-19 and cancer nursing – 22 September at 17.45 CET
Watch the EONS13 symposia recordings on EONS YouTube Channel:
EONS13 Digital Health and Self-Management
EONS13 PROs in immuno-oncology in combination with TKI
EONS13 Integrative medicine
EONS13 COVID-19 and cancer nursing
Why Join EONS?
In addition to gaining instant free access to EONS13, all EONS members can also:
- Apply to attend the ESO-EONS Masterclasses
- Participate in ESO-EONS e-learning sessions
- Attend the EONS Research and PhD workshops
- Join EONS’ Working Groups as opportunities arise
- Stand for election to the EONS Executive Board and make a difference to the cancer nursing profession across the whole of Europe.
EONS is a Cancer Nursing Society representing and working with cancer nurses in 32 countries across the WHO EURO region. Our members come from Turkey, Norway, the UK, France, the Czech Republic and many other countries! Together we work to ensure greater recognition of your work and promote cancer nursing research, education and specialisation in your country and in national, European and regional policy making. All cancer nurses are welcome to join both our membership and our core work.
The call for abstract submissions for the EONS13 conference is closed
The abstract topics categories are the following:
- Cancer Nursing: Digital innovations in health
- Cancer Nursing: Palliative and end-of-life care
- Cancer Nursing: Patient and occupational safety
- Cancer Nursing: Psychosocial care and survivorship
- Cancer Nursing: Symptom management
- Cancer Nursing: Translating research into practice
- Cancer nursing education: Challenges and opportunities
- Cancer nursing leadership
- Cancer Nursing: SARS-CoV-2 and cancer
Please note that:
- All abstracts for ESMO 2020, including preliminary versions of those intended for late-breaking abstract status, were to be submitted by 20 May 2020.
- The deadline for the submission of finalised late-breaking abstracts is 21:00h CEST on Monday, 17 August 2020.
(Abstract submission is free of charge and must be completed online only via the ESMO website. Abstracts submitted by e-mail, post or fax will NOT be accepted.)
EONS13 Scientific Committee:
Wendy Oldenmenger (Chair)
Andreas Charalambous (Chair)
Johan de Munter
Ruben Martin Payo
Celia Diez Rios
* EONS would like to thank the following companies for their support of nursing education through sponsorship of the EONS13 Symposia (in alphabetical order):